Mercury and Its Importance to AstrologyThe planet Mercury plays a huge part in the Astrology world. You just have to look at where it sits in birth charts to know how important it is to astrologers. Want to know more about Mercury? Susan Taylor, our very own astrologer, tells us all you need to know about the planet Mercury.
Mercury in Astronomy: The First Planet in the Solar System
Sat at approximately 58 million kilometers from the Sun, Mercury is the first planet in our solar system. That said, this distance can vary greatly due to the fact that Mercury’s orbit isn’t an exact circle. Mercury is the smallest planet in the solar system (Pluto is considered a dwarf planet) with a diameter measuring at 4900 kilometers. It’s mass and gravity are considerably weak, and it has almost no atmosphere.
Interested in learning more about what’s out there? Find out here which planet rules over your sign!
Mercury in Mythology: The Messenger of the Gods
In Egyptian times, it was thought that the planet Mercury was actually two separate stars- one that appeared in the morning (known as Set), and another that appeared in the evening (known as Horus). It’s from Set and Horus where the concept of Mercury’s duality originates.
By contrast, Mercury in Roman mythology is the son of Jupiter and Maia (daughter of Atlas). Depicted as a slender young man with a winged helmet, wings on his feet, and a caduceus (an ancient staff), Mercury’s speed made him a perfect messenger of the gods. As a Roman symbol, he was used to represent communication, speed, travel and knowledge.
🪐 Read up on the effects of Mercury retrograde. 🪐
🌟 Looking for True Love & Happiness? 🌟
Mercury in Astrology: The Intellect of the Solar System
Known as the ‘Swift Planet’, Mercury represents intellectuality and the ability to learn. Mercury brings out our analytical sides and promotes quickness of thought. She’s a brain planet and symbolizes reflection and expression. What’s more, Mercury is related to business and finances, and the adolescence that we once all knew.
- Read about the Mercury retrograde effects on each zodiac sign -
Mercury’s Effect on Astrology
In Astrology, a planet is capable of exerting both positive and negative effects depending on its position and movement. For example, when its position is favorable, Mercury is able to bring out the best in its abilities, but when in Retrograde, it tends to have very negative influences.
- The positive effects of Mercury include sociability, intelligence, humor, creativity, and the gift of expression
- The negative effects of Mercury include superficiality, instability, nervousness, deceitfulness, and lack of ambition
- On a symbolic level, Mercury represents curiosity, money, studies, logic, and youthfulness
Six Things to Know About Mercury
- Orbital period (the time it takes for Mercury to revolve around the Sun): 88 days
- Element linked with Mercury: Air
- Body part linked with Mercury: Head, hands, arms
- Bodily functions linked with Mercury: Expression, exchanges, nervous system
- Metal linked with Mercury: Mercury
- Day linked with Mercury: Wednesday
So, there you have it, you’re now an expert on Mercury! That said, there’s still so much to learn about our solar system, especially when it comes to the Moon and the Sun, so open your mind and watch the night sky become alive before your very eyes!