Saturn and Its Importance to AstrologyYou might think you know everything you need to know about the ‘Ringed Planet’, but we’re here to tell you that you’re very much mistaken. Susan Taylor, our very own astrologer, spills Saturn’s biggest secrets, from its symbolism to its mythology!
Saturn in Astronomy: The Many Rings of Saturn
Like Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune, Saturn is known as a ‘giant planet’. With a diameter of 121 000 kilometers, it’s the second largest planet, yet has a very low density due to the fact that it’s essentially composed of just hydrogen and helium. Despite its size, Saturn turns on itself extremely quickly (10 hours), but takes 29½ years to orbit the Sun.
Saturn in Mythology: God of Time and Agriculture
Known as Cronus in Greek mythology, Saturn is the god of sowing and cultivation. His father, Uranus, was jealous of his extraordinary abilities and attempted to murder him, but he was overpowered, and Saturn took control of the heavens.
That said, Saturn later attempted to do the same to his own children, and whilst he did manage to devour several of his own offspring, his son Jupiter fought him off, and forced him to regurgitate those that he’d swallowed. As a result, he lost his rule of the world, and his kingdom was divided up between his sons- Jupiter, Neptune, and Pluto.
🌟 Discover your destiny with the help of a Psychic! 🌟
Saturn in Astrology: Planet of Structure
Saturn is of unbelievable importance in astrology, and is capable of bringing about decisive, life-changing events for those it affects. It can be a planet that urges stability and structure, as well as frustration, depending on its position in your natal chart. Saturn has a reputation for hindering romance, as it can often push lovers to question their partner’s intentions.
In spite of this, it’s important to remember that Saturn is on your side! It’s relationship with the Sun aids your career; with Venus it can strengthen your relationships; and with Jupiter your self-confidence can be improved beyond belief.
- Find out more about Saturn retrograde and its effects on the zodiac signs! -
Saturn’s Effect on Astrology
- The positive effects of Saturn include wisdom, patience, ambition, stability, maturity, concentration, responsibility, and perseverance
- The negative effects of Saturn include coldness, inhibition, obsessiveness, greed, and frustration
- On a symbolic level, Saturn represents structure, time, old age, loneliness, and introversion
Six Things to Know About Saturn
- Orbital period (the time it takes for Saturn to revolve around the Sun): 29½ years
- Element linked with Saturn: Earth
- Body part linked with Saturn: Skeleton, skin
- Bodily functions linked with Saturn: Excretory system, immune system, muscle contractions
- Metal linked with Saturn: Lead
- Day linked with Saturn: Saturday
So, there you go, you’re now an expert on Saturn! That said, there’s still so much to learn about our solar system, especially when it comes to knowing which planet rules over your sign, so open your mind and watch the night sky become alive before your very eyes!