Ah, the Moon and all of its intriguing mysteries! That's right, many beliefs, stories and legends have been forged about this star, but, are they the fruit of the imagination or, scientific realities 🔬? Are you convinced by these popular myths? Track the cycles with the help of our Moon calendar to find out how true they are for you! After all, it's up to you to decide for yourself if they are really magical or just mythical.
10 Superstitions about the Full Moon 🌕 Decide for yourself if they are true or false
1. On the night of the Full Moon, men transform into werewolves
According to modern beliefs, nights of Full Moons will involuntarily transform a man into a werewolf, a terrifying creature that’s half man and half animal. It’s also said that people born on these evenings will be more susceptible to becoming misanthropes. Legend has it that these cursed humans (men and women) are transformed, at nightfall, into anthropomorphic creatures close to the wolf. The metamorphosis occurs periodically, at each full moon, condemning them to wander until the morning. Endowed with colossal strength and great ferocity, this legendary animal is said to be capable of killing many people in a single night, especially children, which it generally does not remember after having taken human form again just before sunrise.
- We reveal the Full Moon's influence on each zodiac sign. -
2. It drives people crazy
People have long associated this cycle with the worst crimes… The number of accidents, crimes, and suicides double during these evenings. Today, people continue to believe that this star plays on our emotions and our moods. Legend states that our feelings will be increased ten times over, insomnia will hit us harder, and a natural aggressiveness within people and animals will intensify.
- Discover the Full Moon wishes ritual -
🌟 Connect with a Psychic and discover what will happen during the next Moon cycle! 🌟
3. Hanging your laundry out on these evenings will make it shine
Hanging out white linen on the nights of the Full Moon would whiten it, and this practice should be avoided for colored linen. It's even claimed that this whitening power is superior to that of the Sun. There's an old saying that "the Moon eats the curtains", and it was customary in the early 20th century to hang laundry outside on full Moon nights during "big wash" periods. This lunar effect was also traditionally invoked in the bleaching in the meadows' technique, which was practiced from the early 18th to the early 20th century.
4. If you cut your hair on these evenings, it’ll grow back quicker
It plays an essential role in vegetable growth, so why wouldn’t do the same with our hair? According to certain beliefs, the force of its pull boosts our blood flow. In fact, a handful of hairdressers around the world are convinced. They even offer nocturnes at this time of year, which are always performed outdoors. Incidentally, our nails and hair will grow a lot quicker if they’re trimmed late during these mystical evenings.
- Find out when you should cut your hair with the Moon. -
5. The Full Moon makes us more fertile
This belief is based on the fact that the lunar cycle is within one day of the average menstrual cycle. However, there is no connection to be made between the two. However, as for our sex lives, the Full Moon increases our libidos and drives us crazy between the sheets! Women who want to get pregnant are often advised to avoid overhead positions on the evening of a full moon, or to keep their legs in the air after intercourse to help the sperm find its way to the uterus. This is based on popular belief and has no scientific basis. There is no scientifically proven position that increases the chances of getting pregnant.
6. The moon favors childbirth
Women who are approaching the end of their pregnancy often hear "the Full Moon is coming, you'll give birth soon! But are there really more births on Full Moon nights? This is a very old belief. And for good reason, a pregnancy lasts an average of 280 days, or 10 Moon cycles, which is not a coincidence for many people. Some theories suggest that, because the Moon has an influence on the earth's tides, it also influences our inner tides, thus it could act on the amniotic liquid and therefore cause pregnant women’s waters to break. However, whilst faced with these rumors, many scientists have studied the question, but have all come to the same conclusion - there are no more childbirths on the nights of the Full Moon. In other words, if the Moon is associated with fertility and childbirth in many mythologies, no scientific study has been able to demonstrate a real correlation.
7. The moon increases crime
The number of misdemeanors committed during the full moon is said to be higher than usual. Again, this is a myth. In 2010, researchers investigated the supposed link between the two. They studied the numbers of crimes reported during 2009 at a government hospital in Surate, India. Their study found that there was "no significant difference between crime events on full moon and non-full moon days". Crime rates are unrelated to this lunar phase. In 2018, Wayne Petherick, a criminology specialist at Australia's Bond University, remarked: "The only explanation I can see for linking criminology to the phases of the moon is one of practicality for criminals: when there's a full moon, there's more light."
8. The moon promotes epileptic seizures
No, studies prove that the Full Moon has no influence on epileptic seizures.
9. It increases insomnia
Many sleep parameters are disturbed on full-moon nights. The discovery was made by Swiss researchers at the University of Basel. Volunteers spent 64 nights sleeping in a room isolated from the outside world, without noise or light. Their electroencephalograms revealed that deep sleep is shortened by 30% when the Moon is full. Sleep itself lasted less time, and was judged to be of poorer quality. It was also found that on a full moon night, secretions of the sleep hormone melatonin are lower. Researchers believe that we may have a biological clock tuned to the Moon's cycle. 💡 Here’s a little tip if this happens to you: close your curtains, and it will be a night like any other 😉.
>>> Read up on the Full Moon's influence on insomnia.
10. The moon makes plants grow
In this phase, sap flows abundantly and rapidly from the roots to the top of the plant. This has an impact on the plant's growth, promoting rooting and root growth. This is an ideal phase for transplanting, fertilizing and harvesting. Weeding must also be carried out.
💡 It's time for a little bit of science - Let's get technical 💡
The Full Moon is a lunar phase that occurs when the Sun, Earth and Moon are approximately aligned (when this alignment is perfect, there's a lunar eclipse). This means that on this date, the Moon rises when the Sun sets, and sets the next day when the Sun rises. The face presented by the Moon is completely illuminated, hence the name Full Moon.
📍 Practical tip - How to prepare for the Full Moon - Use meditation to harness the energies📍
Close your eyes and concentrate on yourself. Let the emotions come to you, whether positive or negative. It's all about listening to yourself. Take the time you need.
Once you've felt your emotions, ask yourself what's been troubling you lately, and try to identify the source(s). Maybe it's related to certain factors, such as behaviors or actions that you need to question yourself on and understand your feelings by letting go.
What does a Full Moon do spiritually?
The Full Moon has profound spiritual significance in many spiritual traditions and practices around the world. Here are some of the spiritual meanings commonly associated with this cycle:
- It encourages completion and enlightenment: This phase is considered a moment of culmination, fulfillment, and realization. It's a time when intentions and projects can reach their apogee. It symbolizes the completion of a cycle and the illumination of consciousness.
- It amplifies energy: This cycle is known for amplifying spiritual and emotional energies. It's an auspicious time for meditation, manifestation, healing, ritual, and spiritual connection. Spiritual practices carried out during the full moon can be strengthened and have a more powerful impact.
- It favors intuition and guidance: This phase is often associated with increased intuition and mental clarity. It can foster a connection with our inner wisdom and spiritual guidance. It's a favorable time for introspection, listening to our inner voice, and exploring our spirituality.
- It favors purification and liberation: The Full Moon is considered an auspicious time for liberation, letting go, and purification. It's an opportunity to let go of what no longer serves us, eliminate negative energies, and free ourselves from limiting patterns.
🌎 FAQ - What do different cultures believe about the Full Moon? 🌎
- Buddhists consider the full moon a sacred moment, and it's during this cycle in May that they commemorate the birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha, and have done so for over 2,500 years.
- In Niger, traditionally, it is the occasion for young people in rural areas to gather in the evening, singing and dancing in the moonlight.
- In Zimbabwe, the full Moon is an ideal time for local festivities, particularly in the Victoria Falls region.
- In Latin America, particularly Nicaragua, it's not advisable to sow during the full Moon, as the seeds won't grow.
- In Europe, in western France, for example, you shouldn't cut your hair when the Moon is rising, as it will grow back too quickly and you'll be back at the hairdresser's sooner.
Susan Taylor’s insights: Various effects
The Full Moon would be a good time to cut your hair to make it stronger and shinier. If you wish to start a dietary detox, it is also a good time, as the Full Moon acts on the different fluids of the body. Thus, the drainage of toxins would be optimized. At the level of mood, the Full Moon would have a bad influence on behavior, leading to irritability, violence and conflicts. It is therefore during this lunar phase that it is advisable to listen to oneself and to do sports to evacuate this excess of energy.
If you have questions about your future, if you need answers, don't hesitate to make an appointment with one of our psychics. They will enlighten you about your future with great attention.
- The future is mine -