The Moon and Its Importance to AstrologyIt’s been in the sky every night of your life, and every night for billions of years, but how much do you really know about the Moon? We’re all aware that the Moon has an effect on the Earth, but what does it actually do? Our very own astrologer, Susan Taylor, tells us all you need to know about the Moon.
The Moon: What Really Is It?
A celestial body sitting 3480 kilometers from the Earth, the Moon has a diameter of 3480 km, making it a quarter of the Earth’s size. What’s more, it takes 27 days for the Moon to both fully rotate on its axis, and complete an orbit around the Earth.
Interested in learning more about what’s out there? Find out here which planet rules over your sign!
🌕 Which phase is the Moon in today? 🌕
Check out our Lunar calendar 2019 for all the Moon phases
The Moon and Its Symbolism
Alongside the Sun, the Moon watches over the skies and is seen by many to represent ‘feminine light’; as opposed to the ‘masculine light’ of her solar counterpart. She is Selene in Mesopotamia, Artemis and Hecate in Greece, Diana among the Romans, and Isis in Egypt. She is the mother goddess and a symbol of fertility and maternity.
The Moon and Astrology
The Moon is a celestial body that is incredibly important to astrology. Arguably as essential as the Sun or the Ascendant, the Moon symbolizes everything that is feminine. In a man, the Moon has the ability to evoke emotion and sensitivity, as well as love for the women in his life.
🌟 Looking for True Love & Happiness? 🌟
The Moon’s Effect on Astrology
- The positive effects of the Moon include fulfilment, open-mindedness, and tender emotions
- The negative effects of the Moon include addiction, passivity, laziness, fickleness, and disorder
- On a symbolic level, the Moon represents femininity, cooperation, dreams, memories, and home
Six Things to Know About the Moon
- Orbital period (the time it takes for the Moon to revolve around the Earth): 27 days
- Element linked with the Moon: Water
- Body part linked with the Moon: Stomach
- Bodily functions linked with the Moon: Nutrition
- Metal linked with the Moon: Silver
- Day linked with the Moon: Monday