Full Moon 2020: 10 Full Moons, 2 Super Moons and 1 Blue MoonThe night sky of 2020 promises to give us some extraordinary and rare shows. In addition to the 10 Full Moons, we can also look forward to witnessing 2 Super Moons and a Blue Moon; visible on Halloween night. Discover all the secrets of the Moons in 2020 and learn more about what they mean for you.
The year 2020 will be an exceptional year, according to astrology experts. In October there will be two extraordinarily Full Moons, making for a total of 13 throughout the year. This means that 2020 will have an extra lunar cycle than usual. For those who love observing the beauty of the sky, this is a rare and exciting phenomenon.
- Discover how the Full Moon affects each zodiac sign -
When will the Full Moons occur in 2020?
Here are the precise dates of the Lunar phases in 2020. Each one has a precise name, traditionally linked to the alternation of crops and seasons.
- To know the precise dates of each Moon phase, visit our Moon Calendar for 2020. -
- 10th January at 2:21 P.M EST - Wolf Moon
- 9 February at 2:34 AM EST - Ice Moon
- 9 March at 18:48 - Seed Moon
- April 8th at 2:34 a.m.- Moon of Gems
- 7 May at 10:45pm - Flower Moon
- 5 June at 21:12 - Honeymoon
- 5 July at 6:44 a.m. - Harvest Moon
- August 3 at 1:59 a.m. - Wheat Moon
- 2 September at 7:23 - Grape harvest moon
- 1 October 23:06 - Leaf Moon
- 31 October at 15:51 - Blue Moon
- 30 November at 10:32 – Frost Moon
- 30 December at 4:30 - Cold Moon
The nicknames given to the Moons are strongly linked to folklore tradition and often fall between reality and supernatural. The Full Moon of the wolf refers to the howling of wolves during the cold winter nights, whereas the Ice Moon, refers to the time of year when more snow falls.
The Gem Moon coincides with the arrival of spring, when the snow gives way to the first shoots awakened by the weak rays of the April Sun. The July Full Moon, the harvest moon, coincides with the time of the wheat harvest, at the height of the summer season.
The Harvest Moon falls during the period of September, and has always been surrounded by a veil of mystery and mysticism. Since wine alters the state of consciousness, the ancients believed that it had the power to put man in contact with the divine. Finally, the Snow Moon and the Cold Moon refer to the arrival of the cold winter.
🌕 For more information read about the Moon and its importance. 🌕
Our Astrologer Susan Taylor's insights
The best way to observe the Full Moon is under a dark sky, away from the city lights. The optimal observation periods for Full Moons in 2020 will be closely related to the geographical position of the viewer.
What's a Super moon?
The Supermoon is a Full Moon with a shorter distance between the Moon and our planet Earth. This proximity creates an optical effect that increases the apparent size of the satellite seen from Earth. Supermoons can appear up to 14% larger and up to 30% brighter than a classic Full Moon.
Experts agree that during 2020 we will be lucky enough to observe two Supermoons, which will occur one month apart. The second will be larger than the first. For all lovers of astronomical observation, 2020 promises to be full of surprises.
- Check out how the Moon's transit through the zodiac signs impacts us and learn about Full Moon wishes and rituals -