Astrology Aspects: What Are They And What Is Their Influence?One of the most fascinating and interesting elements of astrology is learning to understand what planetary aspects form in combination with the zodiac signs. Conjunction, opposition, quadrature, trine, sextile, cuspid, each astrological configuration has a direct consequence on our zodiac sign and behavior.
Each planet has its own individual points, its own energy and precise influence. According to their position on the wheel of the zodiac, the planets create harmonious or inharmonious connections. These configurations are called aspects, here are the main ones:
- The conjunction: A positive and a negative aspect
- Opposition: A tense and negative aspect
- Quadrature: A tense and negative aspect
- The Trine: One of the most positive aspects
- Il Sextile: A positive aspect
The conjunction: A positive and a negative aspect
A conjunction is formed when two planets are side by side (either in the same sign or different signs) with a maximum difference of 12° between them.
For example: The Sun located at 15 ° from Taurus and Saturn located at 20 ° from Taurus in a natal chart = Sun-Saturn conjunction in Taurus.
The conjunction intensifies the energy of the planets concerned, so the qualities associated with them can be strengthened. When two planets are in conjunction, their energies and influences combine, gaining strength and power.
There are two types of conjunctions:
- 1st group: The Conjunctions of the planets that "unite" more easily (the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus and Jupiter) In this case we have a harmonious Conjunction.
- 2nd group: Conjunctions where the planets are very different and therefore cannot reach perfect harmony (Mars, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto). In this case, we have a dissonant conjunction.
The planets of the 1st and 2nd group don’t go well together, if "forced" to cohabit in the case of a Conjunction, we would have a Dissonant Conjunction, similar to the Opposition.
Opposition: A tense and negative aspect
This configuration occurs when one planet is exactly opposite another on the zodiac wheel, with a maximum deviation of 10°.
For example: Mars located at 3 degrees from Libra and Saturn located at 7 ° from Aries at the same precise moment, they form an opposition of Mars in Libra and Saturn in Aries.
An opposition is often perceived as a contrast between two forces, which can cause great instability. We can face opposition in two ways:
- We can regularly move from one pole to another, oscillating between the two opposing tendencies of the opposition, i.e. between the two planets: however, this solution is not always practical. For example, in the case of the opposition between Mars and Saturn, will pass through a phase of movement and action brought by Mars to another of reflection and stagnation brought by Saturn. This association creates a contradiction that is difficult, if not impossible, to manage.
- Or we can try to live the contradictions of the opposition flexibly, without trying to hinder or slow down the influence of the stars. For example, the opposition of Mars-Saturn itself could be experienced by taking the positive aspects of the two planets: the strength of Mars and the reflection of Saturn. This is the best solution, although it requires great will and control.
Astrologist Susan Taylor's insights:
The way you experience opposition is related to the zodiac signs involved in opposition. In this case, one’s natal chart comes into play, with the exact position of the planets at the time of birth. To face an opposition with consciousness and serenity, it’s essential to know your birth chart well.
Quadrature: A tense and negative aspect
In the zodiac, a quadrature separates two planets by 90° in a ratio of force and collision (90° is equivalent to 3 signs of the zodiac, with a shadow of 6°.)
For example: The Moon at 15° in Aquarius and Mars at 19° in Scorpio, form a Quadrature of Moon in Aquarius and Mars in Scorpio.
This aspect often leads to obstacles and difficulties. Two planets in Quadrature, contrary to the Conjunction, have nothing to share and favor the creation of a climate of strong tensions. In this case, the Moon, in search of tranquility and peace, will feel constantly attacked by Mars, which here represents violence and confrontation.
The Trine: One of the most positive aspects
This aspect is formed when two planets are separated by a wide angle of 120°, i.e. a space of 4 signs and a shadow of 7°.
For example: The Sun at 3° from Leo and Uranus at 8° from Sagittarius, form a trine of the Sun in Leo and Uranus in Sagittarius.
This astral configuration is considered as a harmonious aspect. Indeed, these two planets of Trine, although different, find a way to combine. In this case, a Sun-Uranus trine (as a sign of Fire) will bring independence, originality, speed and inventiveness.
Il Sextile: A positive aspect
The sextile is formed when two planets are 60° apart, i.e. with a difference of two signs, i.e. 2°.
For example: Venus at 20° from Libra and Saturn at 22° from Sagittarius, form a sextile of Venus in Libra with Saturn in Sagittarius.
As in the case of the trine, with a sextile, the interaction between the two planets is good, even though the two planets may appear incompatible. The sextile inaugurates a period of positivity and optimism, even if it's less powerful. In this case, Venus, the planet of love, would be disturbed or even blocked by the coldness of Saturn in conjunction or opposition. While in the case of the Sextile and even more so in the case of the Trine, Saturn brings to Venus seriousness, loyalty and emotional stability.
|Conjunction||Positive/Negative depending on the planets involved|
|Opposition||Tense and negative|
|Quadrature||Very tense and negative|
In a natal theme, a native who has only positive aspects will undoubtedly be "relaxed" and rather happy throughout his life, but will do nothing to overcome himself and could live a boring life without challenges or great projects, he will be afraid to take risks. It has been found that "Quadrature" and "Opposition" bring inner tensions, difficulties in life, but they also help to overcome oneself, to face challenges, to progress and to achieve personal and professional fulfillment.